“Strategic Aspects for Internet
Governance and Innovations”
3 – 10 February 2020
The course aims at presenting the current process of innovations in Internet from all of these important perspective of view.
of the key aspects of:
- Convergence in Telecommunications toward Internet
- Broadband Strategies and Innovations
- Internet Standardization and Policy
- Innovation management in ICT
- Google model vs. Apple model
- Mobile and Internet telephony
- IPTV innovations
- Innovative services and applications
- Network neutrality
- Management and regulation of Internet
1. Convergence in Telecommunications toward Internet
- Development of the telecommunications
- Global development of ICT
- General telephone architecture
- Signaling in telephony network
- Internet architecture
- Internet name spaces
- Internet governance – main players, main contributors
- Legacy telecommunications vs. Internet
- Number of individual Internet users globally
- Internet users globally
- Trends in communication sector
- Fixed telephony subscription globally
- Fixed broandband subscriptions
- House-Holds with Internet access
- Mobile subsciptions globally
- Convergence of telecommunications to IP-based networks and services
- Definition of Convergence
- Convergence: Benefits
- Definition of NGN
- Main Drivers towards NGN
- NGN Transport and Service Stratums
- NGN Standardization Process
- Standardization Synergy of ITU, IETF, 3GPP and IEEE
- The “Old Way” and the “New Way”
- The NGN Concept
- All-IP Network Concept
- Control and Media Connectivity to NGN
- NGN Functional Architecture
- NGN Control Architecture
2. Broadband Strategies and Innovations
- Broadband definition
- ITU-T, ITU-R, ITU-D – work on broadband
- Cable networks
- IUT’s IMT-Advanced umbrella for mobile broadband Internet
- 3GPP Releases Timeline: from UMTS to LTE and LTE-Advanced
- 4G standard by IEEE: Mobile WiMAX 2.0
- Mobile broadband Internet speeds
- Fixed-Mobile Convergence (FMC)
- IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) for the practical FMC
- Broadband markets
- Broadband economic impact
- Information Technology: Investments and Workers playground
- Relationship between ICT and productivity?
- Network effects of broadband on employment
- Employment creation with broadband
- Economic impact of broadband. Case studies: United States, Germany, countries.
- National broadband strategies
3. Telecom Standardization and Policy
- Licensing and Authorization
- Licensing objectives and types
- What to do with regulation?
- Licensing objectives and policies
- Lincense types
- Global standards making and compliance
- The need for standards
- Another definition for ICT standards
- Who is Who?
- Bridging the standards divide
- ITU Ladder of standardization development
- Going mobile: managing the spectrum
- The need for spectum management?
- Impact of the spectrum management
- Traditional approaches and recent innovations
- Radio frequency propagation and related services
- IMT spectrum (3G and 4G mobile broadband)
- Unlicensed spectrum
- When spectrum needs regulation?
- UK Unlicensed bands
- The digital dividend
- Access and Interconnection
- Traditional telecom interconnection
- Interconnection between Best-Effort IP networks
- Interconnection between IP-based and PSTN networks
- Universal Access and Service
- Digital Literacy and e-Inclusion
4. Innovation management in ICT
- ICT innovations wordwide
- Survey of 668 global technology leaders
- What are future innovative technologies
- Next technology breakthrough in near future?
- The cloud storms as a disruptive force
- Media Cloud
- Cloud markets globally
- Cloud Computing in China
- Mobile madness
- Which of the following industry players will lead the mobile payments market share over the next several years?
- Challenges and benefits from cloud and mobile adoption
- Main barriers to commercialize disruptive technology innovations
- Security and privacy threats: acceptable risks for speedy innovations?
- Innovation management
- Where innovation starts in a company?
- Where innovation is spotted?
- Inspiration for innovation
- Educational system and innovations
- Educational system standing point: China vs. USA
- Leading innovators worldwide
- But, can innovation be thought or it is self-driven and case-by-case specific?
- Leading companies driving disruptive technology innovation
- What are some key innovations?
- Where will the next tech breakthrough occur: startups, multinationals, labs?
- How is innovation fostered at IBM?
- How important are acquisitions in the mix for IBM to generate growth in new areas?
- What do you see as the main barriers for the adoption of new technologies among businesses?
- How do you see social media evolving?
- Countries and ICT innovations
5. Google model vs. Apple iPhone model
- Asymmetric business model
- OTT and Telco relations
- OTT vs. Telcos comparison
- Business models
- Who is who?
- Apple innovation strategy
- Apple innovation model
- Google innovation model
- Google and the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Innovations lead to revenues
- Revenues strategies of Google and Apple
- Market capitalization comparison of Google and Apple
- What is next in Google innovations?
- Market share for Android and iOS
- Samsung role in Apple vs. Google market battle
- OS (Operating System) usage statistics
- Example about the trust itself
6. Mobile and Internet telephony
- Where is telephony today?
- Technology side of telephony
- Naming and addressing schemes
- ENUM types
- Identifiers in NGN
- Naming-numbering and address resolution in NGN
- QoS-Enabled VoIP in NGN
- IMS-based evolution of PSTN/PLMN to NGN
- PSTN/ISDN emulation and simulation in NGN
- Establishing QoS-enabled VoIP service between mobile operators
- QoS-enabled VoIP data transfer between mobile operators
- Regulation side of the telephony
- Voice minutes of use per subscription
- Voice revenues per minute
- Business aspects
- Service revenues for european mobile operators 2000-2010
- Traffic forecast 2012-2020
- Voice over mobile network evolution
- The battle for mobile revenues
- Skype, Viber and WhatsApp are OTT services that influence fixed and mobile telephony
- MNOs will be challenged by an increase in mobile traffic and some shift in revenues
7. IPTV innovations
- Average TV consumption per user (in minutes per day)
- What is IPTV?
- ITU definition of IPTV
- But, where the TV is going?
- IPTV Telco architecture
- Types of IPTV architectures
- IPTV service models
- NGN IMS-based IPTV functional architecture
- IMS-based IPTV session setup
- Mobile TV
- IPTV over WiMAX and WiFi
- Multicast and broadcast multimedia system (MBMS)
- Evolved MBMS architecture
- IPTV QoE
- IPTV features and market needs
- IPTV architectures
- Over-The-Top (OTT) television
- Business models
- IPTV and OTT innovations
8. Innovative services and applications
- New service development cycle
- Service innovation
- Service system design and innovation
- Service system design tools
- Cloud computing
- Service models for cloud computing
- Media clouds
- What is the Internet of Things (IoT)?
- The application of IoT
- State of the Art of IoT
- Web of Things (WoT)
- Smart home
- 5G: Toward the future mobile broadband
- 5G foreseen networks and services
- ITU’s work on 5G
9. Network neutrality
- Network neutrality – proponents and opponents
- Network neutrality – recent events
- Introduction to network neutrality and QoS
- Definitions from regulation point of view
- Big picture: end-to-end Internet Communication
- Degradations of Internet Service
- End Users Rights and NRAs
- Main regulatory goals on QoS
- Technical Aspects to Consider in Regulation Processes
- Relevant market developments
- Revenues and Business
- Emerging business models
- Differentiation of Internet access service offers
- High-level regulatory process description
- Examples of cases with degradation
- Degradation of the Internet access service (IAS) as a whole
- Assess situation: Is regulatory intervention neede?
- Degradation of Internet access service with regard to individual applications
- Assess situation: Is regulatory intervention needed?
- Tools and criteria for regulatory intervention
- Questrions for an NRA to consider regarding the intervention
- Circumstances in which QoS regulation is desirable
10. Management and regulation of Internet
- Who makes the global rules?
- Who standardizes Internet?
- Who manages the Internet?
- What is Internet governance?
- What includes the Internet governance?
- Internet governance historical legacy
- Internet society approach to Internet governance
- Main challenges for Internet governance according to the Internet Society
- Internet governance discussion
- ITU’s guidelines for QoS regulation
- QoS regulation approaches
- Fundamentals of QoS regulation
- Jurisdiction for QoS regulation
- Measurements aspects of QoS regulation
- Activities in QoS regulation
- Recommended approach
- SLA and QoS regulation
- Criteria for QoS parameters
- Formulation of the target levels, measurement methods, and reporting
Prof. Toni Janevski
Toni Janevski, Ph.D., is a Full Professor at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technologies, Ss. Cyril and Methodius University, Skopje, Macedonia. He received his Dipl. Ing., M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering all from Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technologies, Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje, in 1996, 1999 and 2001, respectively. During 1996-1999 he has worked for the Macedonian mobile operator Mobimak (currently T-Mobile, Makedonski Telekom, Macedonia), contributing to the planning, dimensioning and implementation of the first mobile network in Macedonia. From 1999 he is with Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technologies in Skopje.
In 2001 he has conducted research in optical communications at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, New York. During 2005-2008 he was an elected member of the Commission of the Agency for Electronic Communications (AEC) of the Republic of Macedonia. During the periods 2008-2012 and 2012-2016 he was member of the Senate of the Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje. In 2009 he has established Macedonian ITU (International Telecommunication Union) Centre of Excellence (CoE) as part of the Europe’s CoE network, and serves as its head/coordinator since than.
In 2012 he has won “Goce Delchev” award, the highest award for science in Macedonia (can be received once in a lifetime). Also, he received Best Scientists Award of the Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje for 2013 (can be received once for a lifetime).
He is the author of the book titled “Traffic Analysis and Design of Wireless IP Networks”, which is published in 2003 by Artech House Inc, USA. In April 2014 has appeared his book titled “NGN Architectures, Protocols and Services”, published by John Wiley & Sons, UK. He is also author of the book “Internet Technologies for Fixed and Mobile Networks”, published in November 2015 by Artech House, USA. Further, in April 2019, he has published the book “QoS for Fixed and Mobile Ultra-Broadband”, John Wiley & Sons (Wiley – IEEE Press series), UK. He has published over 200 research papers and has led several research and applicative projects in the area of Internet technologies and mobile and wireless networks.
Also, he has tutored and coordinated many international courses in the ITU Academy, each year since 2009. He is a Senior Member of IEEE since 2005. He is currently a member from Europe region in the ITU’s GCBI (Group on Capacity Building Initiatives), in the term 2018-2022.
His interests include Internet Technologies, Mobile, Wireless and Multimedia Networks and Services, Quality of Service (QoS), Design and Modeling of Telecommunication Networks, Next Generation Networks, 5G and beyond Mobile Networks and Services, Internet of Things (IoT), Cloud Computing, and Future Networks.
3 – 10 February 2020 (8 days)
E-Learning Course. The course methodology will be as follows:
- Each day from 3 to 7 February 2020 there will be made available two recorded video lectures, which are recorded in the face-to-face ITU Centre of Excellence workshop organised by National Institute of Telecommunications in Poland. In total there are 10 video lectures during the course.
- Discussion forum will be organized based on discussion topics given on a daily basis, where students are highly encouraged to participate and interact with instructors and other students.
- Quiz test will be assigned on the last day of the course, 10 February 2020.
- All announcements for all events (lectures, quiz and forum) will be given in a timely manner (prior to the event) by the course tutor.
STEP 1 – Login into ITU Academy
In order to access this course you need to have a valid account in ITU Academy. First, you should login into the ITU Academy with your ITU Academy account via the login page: https://academy.itu.int
If you have no valid account in ITU Academy Create new account
STEP 2 – Registration into this course
After login into ITU Academy, select the course “Strategic Aspects for Internet Governance and Innovations” by using the link:
Subskrybuj nasz Newsletter
Otrzymasz dostęp do darmowych materiałów szkoleniowych
i nie przegapisz żadnej z istotnych naszych inicjatyw.